The firm of Atanassov & Ivanov, although formed only in 2001, has rapidly established itself as one of the leading providers of local legal advice to investors in the Bulgarian power industry. Since it was created the firm has been advising the US power company Entergy in connection to its project for rehabilitation and exploitation of the lignite-fired electrical power utility Maritza East 3. With respect to it, Atanassov & Ivanov has successfully completed assignments such as:
- Provision of legal opinions with respect to the Power Purchase Agreement between Maritza East III Power Company (JVC) and NEK (the former vertically integrated monopoly in the power sector), as well as with respect to a Lignite Supply Agreement between the JVC and Mini Maritza East;
- Legal advice on various regulatory issues in the course of a due diligence of the project undertaken by the prospective lenders;
- Advice, negotiations and drafting of documentation on employment law aspects of the project;
- Negotiations with suppliers of Maritza East III Power Company;
- Legal advice on commercial contracts related to the project;
- Support on transfer of labour force from a state company to a JVC controlled by NEK, ENEL, Entergy.
Our legal expertise in the electricity sector regulation has been recently recognized by the international law firm Watson, Farley & Williams to whom we give advice on local law issues in relation to the project finance deal of their clients in the energy sector.